batcave

Because I'm Batman

Vitro by Jessica Khoury (2 stars)

Vitro - Jessica Khoury

In Vitro by Jessica Khoury, Sophie is out to find her mad-scientist mother, but both she and her childhood friend-turned-pilot Jim get more than they bargained for when Skin Island won't let them go. I was conflicted on rating this one. It was a little like whipped cream, I think- tasty, and you get it quickly, but not much substance and it doesn't stay with you.

What I liked:
It was a quick read. Despite some slow moments, the plot keep a fairly quick pace.

Although I had several hunches that turned out to be right, I was curious to see which plot paths the author would take. It kept me reading on.

What I didn't like:
I never really cared about any of the characters. Life-changing secrets come to light? Meh. Close scrape? Turn page. Character death? Yawn.

Underused character(s). The evil could have been so effective, but it got limited screen time and when it was there, it was too simple. What happened to complex villains? There were also some side characters I would have liked to see do more.

Final Thoughts:
I think I breezed through Vitro as quickly as I did because it was like TV- quick, easy, lots of action/plot, limited emotional/mental investment. (And I caught myself avoiding my current review book and knew I needed to get reading again.) The science ideas were semi-interesting, but I didn't connect to anyone or anything. I may read the next book in this set of companion novels(?), but it would probably be as another palate cleanser.

For more reviews, tomfoolery and book talk, check out my blog, Booked til Tuesday.