batcave

Because I'm Batman

Seraphina - Rachel Hartman I have mixed feelings about this book. The writing is nicely done and a good example of a first person narrative. Overall, I like Seraphina's character and most of the other lot, too. The story is intriguing and leaves one wondering where it will go next.

I can't point out exactly what it is that kept me from liking this book more. Maybe it's the Professor-X-like mental connections, or the dive into further emotion, or the fact that I am more interested in the stories of side characters. I can't put my finger on it.

Whatever the case, it is a well written addition to the YA shelves and worth a read, though I do not intend to read its sequel. For me, Seraphina's story has reached a satisfying conclusion. She has achieved a significant amount of character development and I am more than content leaving the romance at its ambiguous, but hopeful resolution. There are a number of side characters I would rather follow in the next novel, preferably in third person. As that does not appear to be the case, I will bid Seraphina adieu and wish everyone happy reading.